Basic information

Ingolstadt, 2014-05-22

History of Ingolstadt Site

1945
The Central Auto Union spare parts depot opened in Ingolstadt on December 3. It was located in the former Military Provisions Supply Office on Schrannenstrasse 3.

1946
The central depot in the armory at Unteren Graben is converted for production of replacement parts.

1948
In August the “old” Auto Union was deleted from the trade register in Chemnitz. In Ingolstadt, work began on the development of a delivery van and the production of new design drawings for the prewar DKW RT 125 motorcycle.

1949
On September 3, Auto Union GmbH was established in Ingolstadt as a production company, once again at Schrannenstrasse 3. Production of the DKW rapid delivery van, a model in the three-quarter ton category and the production of the DKW RT 125 W motorcycle began that same year.

1950
Production of the first post-war DKW passenger car begins in April at a new plant in Düsseldorf. Until 1958, all DKW passenger cars are built in Düsseldorf.

1953
Auto Union rented the Friedenskaserne barracks on the Esplanade and surrounding land on Dreizehnerstrasse.

1954
Commissioning of the newly constructed motorcycle plant on the Esplanade. It represented the first major new building project in the post-war period.

1958
On April 24, Daimler-Benz AG responds to a proposal from industrial magnate Friedrich Flick and acquires a majority share in Auto Union. The Ingolstadt company remains a wholly owned subsidiary of Daimler-Benz AG until the end of 1964. In July, groundbreaking takes place for a new automobile plant on Ettinger Strasse just outside the city. Motorcycle production ends at the end of the year.

1959
On August 20, the first DKW Junior automobile was built at the new plant.

1962
The Düsseldorf facilities were sold to Daimler-Benz AG in June. Vehicle production was concentrated in Ingolstadt.

1964
In December, Volkswagenwerk AG responded to a proposal from Flick and acquired a majority share in Auto Union from Daimler-Benz AG. The Ingolstadt company has been a wholly owned subsidiary of VW since the end of 1966.

1965
The first post-war Audi rolled off the assembly line. Production of the DKW models is gradually discontinued.

1968
Second phase of expansion of the plant facilities. Expansion of production and administration.

1969
Start of new construction work for the Technical Development departments on the site of the former Max Emanuel Fort in Ingolstadt. Under the guidance of Volkswagenwerk AG, NSU Auto Union AG, with head offices in Neckarsulm, is created by amalgamating Auto Union GmbH and NSU Motorenwerke AG.

1972
The Audi 80 is launched and becomes a bestseller made in Ingolstadt.

1980
Production of the Audi quattro begins in Ingolstadt.

1985
Auto Union GmbH is renamed AUDI AG on January 1; headquarters are relocated from Neckarsulm to Ingolstadt. From that point product and company bear the same name.

1992
The Audi Customer Center is opened.

1995
Construction of the Logistics Center I begins in Ingolstadt.

1998
Inauguration of the new paint shop.

1999
Inauguration of the Wind Tunnel Center;
opening of the “Market and Customer” building.

2000
Inauguration of the new Audi Forum Ingolstadt (Customer Center, Audi museum mobile, art cinema, gastronomy).

2009
Centenary of the Audi brand
60th anniversary of the main plant in Ingolstadt

2010
Topping-out ceremony for the new Audi A3 body shop. Inauguration of the Development and Test Center for Electrified Drive Systems (Technical Development)
Inauguration of GVZ expansion.

2011
10 millionth automobile of the Audi 80/Audi A4 series.

2012
Commissioning of Audi A3 body-manufacturing shop; opening of SE Forum and computing center (Technical Development).

2013
Opening of the new plant in Münchsmünster near Audi’s Ingolstadt site: a competence center for the production of structural body parts made of die-cast aluminum, hot- and cold-formed pressed parts, and suspension components.

* The fuel consumption and emissions values of all models mentioned in the text and of all models available on the German market are listed in the last chapter of this basic information.

DownloadIn Download-KorbDie Datei wurde in den Download-Korb gelegt
Loading ...

Available Documents

Basic information AUDI AG Ingolstadt
(PDF, 261 KB)