The new Audi A8 – The sportiest sedan in the luxury class
Fascinating sportiness, innovative technology and superior comfort: Audi is bringing the next generation of the A8 to the starting line. The new flagship demonstrates the brand’s proverbial Vorsprung durch Technik with its light aluminum body, its powerful and highly efficient engines, the further improved MMI operating system, new driver assistance systems, the full LED headlights and an elegant interior with a craftsman’s level of workmanship.
With all this technology the new Audi A8 offers the perfect synthesis of dynamics, perfection in design, workmanship and pioneering efficiency. The A8 3.0 TDI with front-wheel drive, to follow at a later time, emits only 159 grams of CO2 per kilometer (255.89 g/mile) – and with 6.0 liters of fuel per 100 km (39.20 US mpg) it achieves the lowest consumption rate in the luxury segment.
“The new Audi A8 is the sportiest sedan in its segment,” says Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG. “It combines numerous functions in a new and intelligent way. And it’s unmatched in the stylistic elements and impression of the interior.”
The new luxury sedan, to arrive at dealerships in early 2010, is a technical work of art. Its elegant and forceful body is an aluminum Audi Space Frame (ASF), weighing about 40 percent less than a comparable steel structure. The interior is captivating, with its new and spacious design and uncompromisingly high-quality workmanship full of attention to the smallest detail. The comfort on board is first class – from new, emotionally charged ambient lighting to the luxurious, power adjustable seats in the rear.
The Audi A8 combines a new level of intelligence with exemplary and easy operation. Its multimedia interface (MMI) includes a pioneering innovation: Combined with the optional navigation system it has a touchpad. MMI touch enables the driver to control many functions intuitively; for example, the navigation destination can be entered by tracing the letters on the pad.
MMI navigation plus is networked in a novel fashion with the advanced driver assistance and safety systems. It follows the route in advance during driving and provides the data to the control units for the automatic transmission, the headlights and for the ACC stop & go function. Their enhanced intelligence enables these systems to recognize complex scenarios and to make anticipatory decisions to assist the driver. The new technologies include a night vision assist with marking of detected pedestrians, the Audi pre sense safety system as well as – in the course of 2010 – a speed limit display.
Another high-end solution on board the new A8 is the full LED headlights, which use light emitting diodes for all light functions. They give the luxury sedan an unmistakable appearance even in daylight and even more so after the fall of darkness. The revolutionary optics used in these headlights mean a departure from the tubular light modules commonly used today. The full LED headlights herald a new chapter in lighting technology.
The new A8 starts off with either of two engines, a 4.2 FSI with 273 kW (372 hp) and a 4.2 TDI, packing 258 kW (350 hp). They will be followed by a 3.0 TDI with 184 kW (250 hp). All engines afford increased power and torque – but their fuel consumption has dropped by 13 to 22 percent, thanks to intelligent and efficient technologies like the recuperation system and innovative thermal management.
A second variant of the 3.0 TDI will follow at a later date. It provides 150 kW (204 hp) of power, drives the front wheels and consumes only 6.0 liters per 100 km (39.20 US mpg) in the EU driving cycle. That corresponds to a CO2 emission rate of 159 grams per km (255.89 g/mile) – a value hitherto unattained in the luxury segment.
The new tiptronic: eight speeds for more comfort and efficiency
The standard new transmissions also play a large role in increasing efficiency – the extremely convenient 8-speed tiptronic finely graduates its eight gears while achieving a large overall spread. Its control system is purely electronic, operated with an elegant selector level and rocker switches at the steering wheel. The quattro permanent all-wheel drive has a distinct sporty and rear-end character. On request, the sport differential dynamically distributes the forces between the rear wheels; on the A8 4.2 TDI this feature is standard.
The new A8 also documents its standing as the sportiest luxury sedan on the market in the chassis sector. The distribution of the axle loads is balanced, and all wheel control arms are aluminum. The adaptive air suspension together with adaptive damping is always on board, forming part of the Audi drive select vehicle dynamics system, also standard. The optional dynamic steering is a supplementary component.
In the field of multimedia Audi also offers many attractive modules. They include a sound system from Bang & Olufsen, with an output of over 1,400 watts and 19 speakers, and include state-of-the-art online services. The new Audi A8 has gained in dynamics, convenience, prestige and intelligence, setting new standards in all sectors.
At a glance
The new Audi A8
- Lightweight and yet ultra-strong aluminum body with ASF design
- Flowing design, full LED headlights on request
Interior and controls
- Luxurious interior with newly developed, spacious styling
- Craftsman-level workmanship, emotionally charged interior lighting
- Advanced MMI operating system, MMI touch navigation system with pioneering operating concept
- Seats with optional ventilation and massage functions, luxurious individual rear seats optional
- New Audi pre sense safety system for avoiding accidents and for minimizing their consequences
- Infotainment and driver assistance systems
- Navigation system of the next generation closely networked with the assistance systems; high-end audio systems and online services
- Night vision assistant with pedestrian marking, adaptive cruise control with stop & go feature and advanced driver assistance systems
- Two TDI engines and one gasoline engine, all with direct fuel injection,
with power ranging from 184 kW (250 hp) to 273 kW (372 hp)
- Another 3.0 TDI with 150 kW (204 hp), best-in-class CO2 of 159 g/km (255.89 g/mile)
- Consumption improved by up to 22 percent with enhanced performance
- All engines with recuperation system, 3.0 TDI also with start-stop system
- New 8-speed tiptronic as standard, shift-by-wire control
- Standard quattro all-wheel drive, optional sport differential (standard with A8 4.2 TDI)
- Lightweight wheel suspension, balanced axle load distribution
- Audi drive select driving dynamic system including standard adaptive air suspension and adaptive damping , optional dynamic steering